23 April 2009

Green is a state of mind

Yesterday, 22 April 2009, was Earth Day.

And, I am ashamed to say that my contribution to our beautiful planet Earth was virtually nothing. The best I could do was buy some clothes made from organically-grown and organically-dyed cotton… and resolve to eat organic food as often as I could.

At work, too, there was zero participation from my colleagues in celebrating Earth Day. I guess, we were all to weighed down by work pressures to pay attention to, or make time for, something as esoteric as celebrating our planet even for a day… or choose a green lifestyle for ever.

This made me wonder about the lifestyles we have adopted these days: our fascination with urban life, our dependence on things plastic and non-organic, our disregard for our environment, and our move away from nature and her bounty. But, was it always like this?

I wondered if it was convenience or carelessness or pure selfishness that drove us away from a pure and natural life that our forefathers enjoyed… and into destroying our planet bit by bit. And I wondered how great a commitment it will take us now to go back to our original pure state… and save the planet.


It was while dwelling on these thoughts that I received an email from The Body Shop advertising its ‘Bag For Life’ on the occasion of Earth Day. The promotional email advertised a free reusable organically-grown cotton tote bag with the message ‘green is not a colour, it’s a state of mind’ with any $30 purchase from The Body Shop.

And I was immediately overwhelmed. The message ‘green is not a colour, it’s a state of mind’ had me mesmerised. True it wasn’t action of any kind – it was just a message on a bag. But, perhaps, this was a start. Perhaps, this was the kind of consciousness we needed to wake up to every morning.

[Citation: Image courtesy The Body Shop email for ‘Bag For Life’.]

No comments: