10 January 2008

Zhang Huan: Altered States



Skin, 1997, b&w photography



“The body is the proof of identity.
The body is language.”


“My decision to do performance art is directly related to my personal experience. I have always had troubles in my life, and these troubles often ended up in physical conflict. This frequent body contact made me realize the very fact that the body is the only direct way through which I come to know society and society comes to know me.”

– Zhang Huan, performance artist

Zhang Huan is one of the leading artists of the Chinese new wave art movement that emerged in China in the 1980s and 1990s, and combined avant-garde art practices with a new internationalism.

Zhang Huan (born 1965, Henan Province, China) began his career as a performance artist, using his body to create unique responses to specific environments; he has since moved on to photography, video, sculpture, and installation.

[Citation: Quotes/text and image reproduced from Zhang Huan’s web pages on Asia Society.]

No comments: